Learning the Right Path

I suppose being a teacher (and also always a learner), my ears perk up when I hear readings about teaching.  Today's first reading, from Isaiah, speaks of Yahweh as a teacher:

Thus says the LORD, your redeemer,
the Holy One of Israel:
I, the LORD, your God,
teach you what is for your good,
and lead you on the way you should go.

God wants our happiness, our good, and so God leads us in that direction.  And if we listen (learn!), God will give us great things.

If you would hearken to my commandments,
your prosperity would be like a river,
and your vindication like the waves of the sea;
Your descendants would be like the sand,
and those born of your stock like its grains,
Their name never cut off
or blotted out from my presence.

I'm enjoying the readings lately speak about the end of time, about the final coming of Christ.  But they speak to us today too, that we must listen to the goodness God teaches us, and then we've got to follow it!  My attention lately has been turned toward the coming of Christ in our hearts, that particular "advent" for which we constantly prepare, and yet which is already with us.

We are called to be Christ for each other, to share love with one another as Jesus loves each of us.  And the great reward:  both we and our loved ones will enjoy the presence of God.

Ah, Isaiah.  Thank you for your prophetic voice in our world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transitions

A little spring beauty

Beginning Holy Week