Yesterday's pilgrimage

As promised, the photos from Carmel Mission and the burial site of Junipero Serra.

From what I read, this mission was Serra's favorite, and it became his home base.  It also had some significant damage from neglect before being rebuilt/repaired.


The outside of the mission.  To the right is the old cemetery, and to the left are buildings around a courtyard.



I think this said it was the original cross from the top of the church.




Serra's burial place, beneath the floor of the sanctuary.

And I cannot resist this last one.  I think it will find its way into future lectures on the Spanish conquest. I can't get over the imagery... Sacred Heart of Jesus / Christ the King rolled into one.  Complete with gilded cape and wooden cross.  I was a bit amused, but also a bit saddened by the way we use imagery sometimes.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transitions

A little spring beauty

Beginning Holy Week